The New Member and Awards Reception was held Thursday, August 17th, at Boatwerks on the lovely Macatawa River shoreline. The MEDA Medalist of the Year, Mike Conboy Professional Development, Robert Sieghart Award for Enthusiasm for the Economic Development Profession, and President’s Awards were given to outstanding economic developers.
The recipient of the Robert Sieghart Award for Enthusiasm for the Economic Development Profession is someone who enjoys economic development and understands the importance of the profession to all communities. This individual is interested in bringing more professionals into the fold with their passion and dedication. They know that more jobs and investment in a community will benefit the entire state, that the rising tide lifts all ships. The second annual recipient of this award was Douglas K. Brown, Director of Development for ASTI Environmental.
Jennifer Owens, President of Lakeshore Advantage, who nominated Doug for the award, called him a “super connector” in networking with economic developers throughout the state to share the best practices that support their communities.
Examples of his enthusiasm are numerous:
• He has brought diverse groups of stakeholders together to collaborate on land development projects that have raised taxable values, created jobs and raised the quality of life in communities throughout the Great Lakes Region for more than 30 years.
• He is the only environmental consultant to ever graduate from the Detroit Regional Chambers’ Leadership Detroit (LD) program – Class XXVI.
• Earned the Elite Eight Award from Commercial Inc. Magazine for helping to convince seven firms to relocate/expand their businesses and create over 2,000 jobs at the Detroit Arsenal Tank Plant in Warren, Michigan – the largest, and arguably most successful Brownfield Renaissance Zone project ever completed in the State of Michigan.
• Received the Detroit Regional Chamber’s Fusion Horizon Award for work accomplishments, community contributions and support of young professionals.
• His tireless efforts while serving 9 years as MEDA Membership Committee Chair led to a substantial increase in membership between 2005 and 2014.
The Michigan Economic Developers Association has been a leader of economic development in Michigan for over 57 years. Consisting of members who strive to build and retain economic development in Michigan, MEDA makes it possible for professionals to do their job more effectively and efficiently. With over 470 members, the Association is dedicated to provide services and benefits geared with expanded insight towards Michigan's future. For more information regarding membership or the Annual Meeting, please call the MEDA office at (517) 241-0011 or visit our website at www.medaweb.org.