(FLINT, Mich. – May 18, 2017) – The Flint & Genesee Chamber of Commerce today announced the receipt of $261,600 from several organizations and individual donors in support of afterschool programming, teen employment and economic development efforts in Genesee County.
The grantors and donors include:
- Ruth Mott Foundation, $75,000 (Summer Youth Initiative (SYI))
- The Hagerman Foundation, $50,000 (SYI)
- Chase Foundation, $40,000 (Economic Development)
- G. Bishop, $30,000 (Economic Development)
- Anonymous, $30,000 (SYI)
- Alden and Vada Dow Family Foundations, $10,000 (YouthQuest)
- Whiting Foundation, $10,000 (YouthQuest)
- Genisys Credit Union, $5,000 (TeenQuest)
- Merkley Youth Charitable Trust, $5,000 (SYI)
- Michigan Council for Arts and Cultural Affairs, $3,600 (YouthQuest)
- Stephanie Pasternak and Cymer, $2,000 (YouthQuest)
- Todd McCredie of McCredie Insurance, $1,000 (SYI)
In addition to the generous support from the Charles Stewart Mott Foundation, funding from these organizations will benefit three of the Chamber’s youth- and teen-related programs that are administered by the Genesee Area Focus Fund, a supporting organization of the Flint & Genesee Chamber of Commerce.
- YouthQuest, a comprehensive afterschool program that provides educational, enrichment and physical fitness opportunities for more than 2,000 students in grades K-12 each year
- TeenQuest, a pre-employment and leadership training program for high school students, ages 14-19, in Genesee County
- Summer Youth Initiative (SYI), which connects TeenQuest graduates with summer job opportunities in the for-profit and nonprofit sectors
“The generosity of these organizations, agencies and individuals reflects their commitment to young people in Flint and Genesee County,” said Rhetta Hunyady, Vice President of Education & Training, Flint & Genesee Chamber. “Their support allows us to continue providing quality afterschool programming through YouthQuest and pre-employment training through TeenQuest.”
On the economic development side, the funding will benefit business retention and attraction activities led by the Flint & Genesee Chamber of Commerce, according to Janice Karcher, Vice President of Economic Development.
“We are very grateful for the financial support of these organizations,” said Janice Karcher, Vice President of Economic Development. “This allows us to help existing and future businesses secure financial packaging, identify talent and training resources, pursue client base expansion and more.”
To learn more about the Flint & Genesee Chamber of Commerce, visit www.flintandgenesee.org.
About Flint & Genesee Chamber of Commerce
The Flint & Genesee Chamber of Commerce (www.flintandgenesee.org) is a premier business membership organization unlike most chambers of commerce. In addition to traditional member services, our responsibility includes serving as the lead economic development agency for Flint & Genesee, marketing tourism, youth and business training, and a Shared Services Center.
YouthQuest is a high-quality, research-based afterschool program offering educational and enrichment activities that engage young minds. Available at 15 sites in the city of Flint and Genesee County, YouthQuest serves nearly 2,000 students in grades K-12 each year. The program is administered by the Genesee Area Focus Fund, a supporting organization of the Flint & Genesee Chamber of Commerce, with primary support from the Charles Stewart Mott Foundation and 21st Century Community Learning Centers. For more information, visit www.yquest.org.
About the Summer Youth Initiative and TeenQuest
The Summer Youth Initiative is a program that helps Flint-area teens find paid summer jobs. It’s open to students who’ve completed the TeenQuest afterschool program, which provides pre-employment and leadership training to students ages 14 to 19 to help them succeed in college and the 21st century workplace. Both programs are administered by the Genesee Area Focus Fund, a supporting organization of the Flint & Genesee Chamber of Commerce, with primary support from the Charles Stewart Mott Foundation. To apply or learn more, visit www.flintandgenesee.org/teenquest.