The Michigan state average is 2 cents more than this time last year
DEARBORN, Mich., (February 6, 2023) - Gas prices in Michigan are down 8 cents compared to this time last week. Michigan drivers are now paying an average of $3.39 per gallon for regular unleaded. This price is 8 cents more than this time last month and 2 cents more than this time last year.
Motorists are paying an average of $50 for a full 15-gallon tank of gasoline; a discount of about $28 from 2022's highest price last June.
According to new data from the Energy Information Administration (EIA), gas demand rose from 8.14 to 8.49 million b/d. Meanwhile, total domestic gasoline stocks increased by 2.6 million bbl to 234.6 million bbl. Despite rising gas demand and recently elevated oil prices, the growth in total supply has helped to limit pump price increases.
At the close of Wednesday’s formal trading session, WTI decreased by $2.46 to settle at $76.41. Crude prices fell after the U.S. Federal Reserve increased interest rates and signaled that more increases are likely. As a result, the market believes oil demand could be less than expected this year, pulling prices down. Additionally, crude prices declined after the EIA reported that total commercial stocks increased by 4.2 million bbl to 452.7 million bbl.
"Michigan motorists are seeing some slight relief at the pump," said Adrienne Woodland, spokesperson, AAA-The Auto Club Group. "If demand does not spike, drivers could continue to see pump prices drift lower through this week."
Compared to last week, Metro Detroit’s average daily gas price decreased. Metro Detroit’s current average is $3.45 per gallon, about 5 cents less than last week’s average but still 8 cents more than this same time last year.
Click here to view AAA's state and metro gas averages
- Most expensive gas price averages: Metro Detroit ($3.45), Ann Arbor ($3.42), Jackson ($3.41)
- Least expensive gas price averages: Benton Harbor ($3.26), Grand Rapids ($3.27), Marquette ($3.33)
- Daily national, state, and metro gas price averages can be found at Gasprices.aaa.com
- Motorists can find the lowest gas prices on their smartphone or tablet with the free AAA Mobile app. The app can also be used to map a route, find discounts, book a hotel and access AAA roadside assistance.
- Combine errands to limit driving time.
- Shop around for the best gas prices in your community.
- Consider paying cash. Some retailers charge extra per gallon for customers who pay with a credit card.
- Remove excess weight in your vehicle.
- Drive conservatively. Aggressive acceleration and speeding reduces fuel economy.
- Enroll in savings programs. AAA Members who enroll in Shell's Fuel Rewards program can save 5 cents per gallon when they fill up at Shell. Click here for more information.
CURRENT AND PAST PRICE AVERAGES
|Sunday||Saturday||Week Ago||Month Ago||One Year Ago||2022 Low||2022 High||Record High|
|National||$3.48||$3.48||$3.51||$3.29||$3.44||$3.10 (Dec. 23)||$5.02 (June 14)||$5.02 (June 2022)|
|Michigan||$3.39||$3.40||$3.47||$3.31||$3.37||$2.97 (Dec. 23)||$5.22 (June 11)||$5.22 (June 2022)|
|Detroit||$3.45||$3.46||$3.50||$3.29||$3.37||$2.95 (Dec. 22)||$5.31 (June 15)||$5.31 (June 2022)|
Every day up to 130,000 stations in the nation and more than 4,200 stations in Michigan are surveyed based on credit card swipes and direct feeds in cooperation with the Oil Price Information Service (OPIS) and Wright Express for unmatched statistical reliability. All average retail prices in this report are for a gallon of regular, unleaded gasoline.
AAA updates fuel price averages daily at www.GasPrices.AAA.com.
About AAA - The Auto Club Group
AAA in Michigan celebrated its 100th Anniversary - A Century of Service in 2016 and has over 1.5 million members across the state. It is part of The Auto Club Group (ACG). Connect with us on Facebook and LinkedIn.
The Auto Club Group (ACG) is the second-largest AAA club in North America with more than 14 million members across 14 U.S. states, the province of Quebec, and two U.S. territories. ACG and its affiliates provide members with roadside assistance, insurance products, banking, and financial services, travel offerings, and more. ACG belongs to the national AAA federation with more than 60 million members in the United States and Canada. AAA’s mission is to protect and advance freedom of mobility and improve traffic safety. For more information, get the AAA Mobile app, visit AAA.com, and follow us on Facebook, Twitter and LinkedIn.