Key investments in these areas will boost the state’s post-pandemic recovery
LANSING - Business Leaders for Michigan, the state’s business roundtable, today weighed in to support key provisions of Gov. Gretchen Whitmer’s Fiscal Year 2022 Executive Budget recommendation.
“Investing in people and innovation are some of the best things we can do to make Michigan a more competitive and prosperous state,” said Jeff Donofrio, President and CEO, Business Leaders for Michigan. “The Governor’s budget recommendation lays out investments in K-12, talent development and mobility programs that have bipartisan support, will help fill talent gaps, and increase income for families.”
Key provisions in the budget recommendation include:
- Establishing a K-12 education best practices center to help identify, replicate and scale best practices in K-12 education to improve academic performance across the state;
- Providing additional support for at-risk and special needs K-12 students;
- Implementing research-based solutions to help students recover lost learning hours due to the disruption caused by the pandemic; and
- Helping residents acquire the skills and credentials employers need by providing additional support for our public higher education institutions, and the Michigan Reconnect, Futures for Frontliners, and Going Pro programs.
- Support for a Mobility Futures Initiative to advance connected and autonomous vehicle deployment, economic and workforce development, equity and sustainability.
Donofrio said: “With COVID accelerating what was already a changing landscape for jobs and mobility, it is critical that we provide a strong educational foundation, ability to upskill throughout life and keeps us in the lead on future mobility. Plans released by legislative leaders have addressed many of these critical areas as well, and we look forward to working with the Administration and legislative leadership to move our state forward.”
About Business Leaders for Michigan: Business Leaders for Michigan, the state’s business roundtable, is dedicated to making Michigan a Top Ten state for jobs, personal income and a healthy economy. The organization is composed exclusively of the executive leaders of Michigan's largest companies and universities. Our members drive nearly 40 percent of the state’s economy, generate over $1 trillion in annual revenue and educate nearly half of all Michigan public university students. Find us on Facebook, Twitter and LinkedIn.