There are often issues that we can consider as controversial or debatable. Each week Dr. David Mielke presents one of these issues to give you Something to Think About. The topic for today is "Big News Day." Last Thursday (June 23rd) was a big news day--the Brits voted to leave the European Union, the Supreme Court announced 2 major decisions, one that blocks President Obama's executive order that would have given legal status to 4 million illegal immigrants and a second allowing affirmative action to be used in admission decisions at the University of Texas. What are the possible implications of these 3 stories for Michigan? Can we expect major economic impacts? Will there be ripple effects?
David looks at some issues:
1. Shares results of the BREXIT vote, and what happens next.
2. Notes Parliament’s process, and when things could go into effect.
3. How the financial markets reacted to BREXIT vote.
4. Longer term world economy results of this vote.
5. How this all impacts U.S. trade with the UK.
6. The 3 major questions that arise from the vote.
7. A deadlocked Supreme Court that same day killing President Barack Obama’s plan to defer deportation and provide work authorization for millions of illegal immigrants, pushing the issue to the forefront of the 2016 election.
8. What the court ruling means for the administration.
9. What upholding the President's executive order would have resulted in.
10. A divided Supreme Court Thursday upheld racial preferences 4-3 in public-university admissions, a defeat to a years-long conservative drive to roll back affirmative action.
11. Michigan voters had previously voted to disallow racial preferences in admission decisions, a law which was upheld by the Supreme Court,… the results.
Will the UK actually leave the EU? What will be the economic and market impacts after the initial shock wears off? Will President Obama now work with Congress to pass immigration reform or will he move to another executive action? Will Michigan universities move once again to use affirmative action in admission decisions now that the Supreme Court has decided in favor of the University of Texas?
What do you think? Something to think about!
We want to know: “How can we provide more value to you to help you and your business succeed?” Have a great week!
For more knowledge, news, and insights visit: